Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

Insulation Grants

What is it?

Insulation grants are part of the Energy Company Obligation (ECO); a government scheme funded by utility companies including the 'Big Six'.

These grants help low income households in England, Scotland and Wales (unfortunately this grant isn’t available in Northern Ireland, to access funding for insulation in Northern Ireland you need to contact NIDirect Government Services) to become more energy efficient and lower heating bills. Eligible households can apply for a grant to install insulation grant using a Registered Insulation Installer.

The 'Big Six' utility companies, including Npower, EDF and British Gas, are obliged to provide funding so that those who need to can improve the efficiency of their homes. This includes grants for new boilers and insulation. As the funding is a grant, not a loan, it doesn’t need to be repaid and could cover a large part - if not all - of the cost of insulating your home.

Can I get it?

If you receive a qualifying benefit the Government could provide you with the money you need to re-insulate your home, improve energy efficiency and save money.

What kind of insulation will a grant cover?

There are grants available for several different types of insulation, and you could be eligible for more than one.

  • Loft
  • Internal wall
  • Cavity
  • Room in roof

You may be offered enough to fund the entire installation but some people receive only some of the money and need to contribute to the costs.

Who is eligible for an Insulation Grant?

If you’re a homeowner or a private renter (with permission from the landlord) who receives qualifying benefits, you could be entitled to an insulation grant from the Government.  

You must also be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Child Benefit*
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee)
  • Employment and support allowance (income-related)
  • Jobseeker’s allowance (Income-based)
  • Income Support
  • Industrial injuries disablement benefit
  • Mobility supplement
  • Personal independence payment
  • Severe disablement allowance 
  • Universal credit 
  • War Pension Mobility Supplement
  • Working tax credit

If you receive one of these qualifying benefits (excluding Child Benefit) you will be eligible regardless of household income, so no means-testing is required for applications.

* Note if Child Benefit is the only qualifying benefit you receive, you will also need to meet income rules for Child Benefit detailed here.

Other eligibility criteria information:

  • If you live in a Housing Association grants are only available on properties with Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E, F or G 
  • If you live in a rented property grants are only available to rented properties with an EPC rating of A, B, C, D or E. Your landlord's permission is always required to complete the insulation grant application process 
  • Stone built properties older than 25 years are usually not eligible for insulation grants (this is because its only in the past 25 years or so that stone has been dressed on the inside of the cavity so allowing insulating material to be installed correctly)
  • For cavity wall insulation, houses built on or after 1982 will already be insulated when built in accordance with building regulations which came out in the same year
  • Loft insulation must be 100mm / 4 inch or less to qualify for ECO funding

Apply for an insulation grant

Once you apply online for a grant you'll be contacted by a Registered Installer to check you meet all the necessary criteria. They'll check what benefits you receive and confirm your status (whether you're a private tenant or own your own home). You will also be asked about existing insulation and possibly details about your EPC.
Apply for an insulation grant here

Boiler grants also available

Boiler grants are only available to homeowners under the current ECO rules. Read our help page on boiler grants here.