Single or Couple?

People who are living together in a relationship count as a couple for assessing benefits

The rules for benefits and tax credits don’t include someone you share a flat with or your carer. If you are in a couple you only need to put in one claim form, giving details for yourself and for your partner. The income, savings and hours of work for both you and your partner will be taken into account.

In couples, this calculator assumes that the first person referred to (‘you’ or ‘client’) claims the benefits. If you are both eligible to claim an out-of-work benefit you should consider carefully which one of you should make the claim. For more information see couples and out-of-work benefits.

If you are in a polygamous marriage you should seek further advice on your benefit entitlement.