Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

Benefits: Living in residential care or hospital

If you, your partner or one of your children live in a residential care home or are in hospital we cannot estimate your entitlement as special rules apply and our estimate may not be correct.

You may also qualify for help with nursing fees. This assistance is provided by local authorities and is often means-tested.

If you or your partner are aged 60 or over the means test includes the value of your house unless your partner, a relative who is aged 60 or over, or a relative who is sick or disabled lives there; or if you are trying to sell your former home (where relief is given for up to 6 months). If you have a partner you may be able to ignore 50% of your joint savings.