Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

Heating and insulation grants

There is £4 billion of funding available right now as part of the Government’s Energy Company Obligation.

The grant scheme obliges energy companies to improve the energy-efficiency of homes of eligible households.

Homeowners, private renters and social housing tenants can qualify but the property must also meet rules about its Energy Performance Certificate rating (see below).

Benefits that qualify for ECO4 grants

The benefits that mean you are eligible for the ECO4 scheme are:

  • Pension Credit 
  • Universal Credit
  • Income based Jobseekers allowance 
  • Income related Employment & Support Allowance 
  • Income Support 
  • Housing Benefit
  • Tax Credits (Child or Working Tax Credit) 

You also qualify if you claim Child Benefit and have an annual income below a threshold. The limit varies between single people and couples and depends on the number of children you have, as set out in the table below. 

Income limit if you only claim Child Benefit

Number of children 1  2  3  4
 1 adult household  £19,900 £24,800 £29,600 £34,500
 2 adult household  £27,500 £32,300 £37,200 £42,000

If you don’t claim any of the benefits above you could also qualify for funding through your council’s ECO4 Flex rules. These rules allow households to apply if they don’t claim benefits and they earn under £31,000 per year, have a health condition made worse by living in a cold home or are vulnerable to the effects of living in a cold home.

Energy performance rules

As well as being in receipt of one of the benefits listed above, eligibility for the ECO4 scheme is dependent on the energy rating of your home. This rating is shown on the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your property. 

To qualify under ECO4 your property must have an EPC rating of D, E, F or G. Energy companies can only spend 15% of their funding on Band D properties and because of this applications are only being accepted for properties with an E, F or G rating.

If your property has an EPC rating of A-C you do not qualify, as in order to get this rating your property will already be well insulated and adequately heated.

All existing EPCs can be viewed on the government's Energy Performance Certificate register (England and Wales) or the Scottish Energy Performance register (Scotland).

If you don’t currently have an EPC a Registered Installer can estimate the rating when you apply and they’ll produce an EPC for you if the application is successful.

What kind of insulation will a grant cover?

The grants are very generous for the properties that qualify and the grants can include:

  • Air Source Heat Pumps
  • Boiler Upgrades (non-condensing boilers and for homeowners only)
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Electric storage heaters (homeowners only)
  • First time central heating (providing there was a gas connection prior to 31 March 2022)
  • Internal wall insulation
  • Loft insulation
  • Room in roof insulation for a loft that has been converted into a room
  • Underfloor insulation

You may be offered enough to fund the entire cost of improving insulation or installing other measures. However, some people receive only some of the money and need to contribute the remaining amount.  

Apply for a grant

To receive an ECO grant, a registered installer will need to survey your home to check you meet all the necessary criteria. They'll double check what benefits you receive and confirm your status (whether you're a private tenant or own your own home). You will also be asked about energy efficiency in your home and possibly details about your EPC.

💡 Our partner Energy Saving Genie can put you in touch with an installer and help you apply for an ECO grant