Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

People who are disregarded for Council Tax

Some people are exempt from liability for paying Council Tax. If you are exempt you should select 'no CT liability' in answer to the 'Council Tax band for property?' question in the entitledto benefits calculator.

Exempt people include those who are:

  • aged 17 or under
  • living in the property temporarily and who have their home somewhere else
  • prisoners
  • in detention prior to deportation or under mental health legislation
  • defined as a severely mentally impaired person
  • full-time students on a qualifying course of education
  • a spouse or a dependant of a student and a non British Citizen who is not allowed under immigration rules, either to work in the UK or claim benefit
  • young people on government training schemes, apprentices, or foreign language assistants
  • hospital patients who live in hospital
  • living in a residential care home, nursing home, or mental nursing home where they receive care or treatment
  • living in a hostel which provides care or treatment because of a person’s old age, physical or mental disability, past or present alcohol or drug dependence or past or present mental illness and in England and Wales a bail or probation hostel
  • live in carers/care workers
  • staying in a hostel or night shelter, for example, in a Salvation Army or Church Army hostel
  • school or college leavers still aged under 20 who have left school or college after 30 April. They will be disregarded until 1 November of the same year whether or not they take up employment
  • aged 18 and someone is entitled to child benefit for them. This includes a school or college leaver in remunerative work, or a person in local authority care
  • members of a religious community who have no income/capital of their own and depend on the community to meet their needs, for example nuns living in a convent 
  • members of visiting armed forces and their dependants

In Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and in some Local Authority areas in England, care leavers under the age of 25 are also exempt from Council Tax. If you are a care leaver in England you should check with your Local Authority to see if you are exempt.