Back to A-Z Help pages index

Childcare costs

You may qualify for help with the costs of childcare through Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit, our calculator estimates entitlement to this so if you qualify it will be included in your result:

If you do not qualify for help with childcare costs through one of these benefits there are other schemes available. Find full details of the help available by selecting from the following links:

  • Childcare vouchers – a ‘salary sacrifice’ scheme through your employer (no new claims accepted from October 2018)
  • Tax Free Childcare - a goverment scheme (a successful claim for this will terminate a Universal Credit or tax credit award)
  • Early years learning - childcare costs met by your educational or local authority 
  • Childcare payments or grants from the Government, for example to help you start work or study - see

Best option for help with childcare costs

If you qualify for Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit then you will generally be better off claiming help with childcare costs via benefits. Please see getting the most help with childcare for more information.