Back to A-Z Help pages index

Council Tax Support / Reduction

What is it?

Council Tax Support / Reduction is a local discount on your Council Tax bill. You can apply if you are on a low income.

It is available in England, Scotland and Wales. In Northern Ireland you can apply for Rate Relief.

How much will I get?

The amount of help you could get depends on which part of the country you live in. As each scheme is set locally people with very similar circumstances may have different entitlements depending on where they live. If you go through the calculator we will work out your entitlement to Council Tax Support / Reduction according to the rules where you live.

In England, many councils have reduced the amount of support available for working age people. Even if you have never had to pay Council Tax before you may have to pay some under your council's rules.

In Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland the amount of Council Tax Support / Reduction (or help with Domestic Rates) has not changed and you can still receive help up to the amount of your full Council Tax or Rates charge. Pensioners can also still receive help up to the amount of their full Council Tax or Rates charge.

How do I claim?

You will need to contact your local council to make an application.

It is important to return your application form quickly. You will usually only be entitled from the date your form is received.

It is a good idea to keep a photocopy of everything in your application, in case it gets lost. If you send the form by post, ask for written confirmation that it has been received.

Your council may ask you to send various documents along with your application. If you cannot find everything required, send in your claim form as soon as possible and post on additional documents. But to ensure you get benefit quickly it is in your interest to supply everything needed.