Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

16-19 year olds in education or training

If your child is a 16-19 year old in education or training then you can normally include them in your Universal Credit claim.

In most cases a 16-19 year old in full time non-advanced education or on an approved training course will not normally get Universal Credit in their own right.

The education or training course must not be provided as part of a job.

You cannot claim for a 16-19 year old if they claim one of the following benefits for themselves:

  • Universal Credit
  • Tax Credits
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)

What happens if you are 16-19 and don't have parental support

If you are in full time non-advanced education or in training you may be able to claim Universal Credit yourself if you don't have parental support. For example, if you're an orphan or estranged from your parents.

Maintenance payments

Some young people in non-advanced education may get maintenance payments to help with their expenses, for example:

  • Education Maintenance Allowance (in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland only)
  • 16 to 19 Bursary Fund (in England only)

For Universal Credit these payments will be fully disregarded.