Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

Maternity Allowance and Maternity/Paternity/Adoption Pay

If you receive Statutory Maternity Pay, Paternity Pay or Adoption Pay then special allowances can apply when benefits are calculated. You should enter the full amount you get in income from these sources and we will work out the allowances.

If your employer is paying you more than the statutory amount as part of your employment contract then you should enter the extra amount you receive as Occupational Maternity Pay.

You may be able to continue receiving Working Tax Credit, your eligibility depends on your income and the number of hours you used to work. The calculator looks at your eligibility for out-of-work benefits as you are not currently working. To find out whether you could still get Working Tax Credit see Working Tax Credit and people who have recently stopped working.

If you receive Maternity Allowance you should enter the full amount you get in income from this as Maternity Allowance is taken into account in full as income for all benefits.

Statutory Maternity Pay, Paternity Pay and Adoption Pay are treated as income other than earnings for Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance and income-based Employment and Support Allowance and so do not attract any earnings disregard. They are treated as earnings for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Universal Credit and Pension Credit, so would attract whatever earnings disregard was relevant. We will automatically work out this disregard.

Even if you receive another benefit from the Department for Work and Pensions please make sure that you only enter the amount you receive from Maternity Allowance in answer to this question. Income you get from other relevant benefits is collected elsewhere in the calculator.