Housing status

Housing Benefit: Housing Status

Your eligibility for Housing Benefit depends on your housing status.

Social housing tenants

Social housing tenants (people who rent from their local council or from a housing association) are eligible for Housing Benefit on all of their 'eligible' rent unless they have spare room. In this case the under occupation rules apply. The calculator works out how much Housing Benefit is payable: you may not get your rent paid in full if you have income or savings above a set amount or if you live with non-dependents.

Private sector tenants

Private sector tenants - people who rent from a private landlord - are eligible for Local Housing Allowance (LHA). LHA is a form of Housing Benefit, but rather than being based on the actual rent you pay it is based on a standard allowance for each area. For more information see Local Housing Allowance.

Mortgage or owned outright

Mortgage or owned outright - people who own their home outright or have a mortgage - are not eligible for Housing Benefit. However, help is available for some people to help meet the cost of interest payments on their mortgage. In order to get this help you must be claiming Income Support, JobSeeker's Allowance (income-based) or Employment and Support Allowance (income-related). For more information see help with housing costs.

Shared Ownership

If you are buying a share in your home through a shared ownership scheme then you may be eligible to receive Housing Benefit and help with mortgage interest. For more information see shared ownership.

Supported Accommodation

If you live in supported accommodation you will receive care, support and supervision from your landlord. In order to meet the definition in the benefits calculator you should only select this option if the care, support and supervision you receive is more than 'minimal'. This is because we assume that people selecting supported accommodation are exempt from the benefits cap and under occupation rules, and only where you receive more than 'minimal' support will this be true. For more information see supported exempt accommodation or if you are in doubt please check with your landlord. If your accommodation is not exempt please instead select ‘tenant – social and voluntary’


We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume you are happy to receive all cookies from our website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.