Back to A-Z Help pages index

Free TV licence

Free TV licence

Please note: at the moment if you are 75 or over you are entitled to a free television licence. However the BBC has announced that you will soon need to qualify for Pension Credit to be eligible for a free licence.

These rules were meant to change on 1 June 2020 but due to the Coronavirus outbreak the BBC has put back the date to 1 August 2020. It also said this date will be kept under review as the situation continues to evolve. This means TV licences will remain free for over 75s until at least 1 August 2020.

If you have already applied for your new free TV licence and sent in information about your Pension Credit your TV licence application will be processed and the BBC will get in touch with you before the new policy starts. You do not need to reapply.

If you are already receiving Pension Credit but have not yet started your TV licence claim you can do so at any point, see the information below. There is no time pressure though if you have concerns around leaving your home at the moment.

You can see if you qualify for Pension Credit using the benefit calculator. We will update the guide below when the rules have changed.

What is it?

If you're 75 or over you're entitled to a free television licence. You can also get TV licence concessions if you're registered blind/severely sight impaired. Or if you live in nursing or residential care or in sheltered accommodation (subject to certain conditions).

Can I get it?

If you are aged 75 or over you qualify for a free TV licence for your main home. The licence also covers other household members living at the address.

If you are aged 74 you can apply for a short term licence that will be valid until the end of the month before your 75th birthday.

How do I claim?

If you're 75 years old or older, you can apply for your free licence on the website or call 0300 790 6117 with your National Insurance number to hand.

If you're 74 years old, you can apply for a short-term TV licence to cover you until your 75th birthday using the link or phone number above.

If you are blind you are eligible to apply for a 50% blind concession on your TV licence. If you are partially sighted (sight impaired) you are not eligible. To apply, go to or post a photocopy of your document of blind registration or a certificate from your ophthalmologist with your licence number, phone number and cheque payment to TV Licensing, Blind Concession Group, Darlington DL98 1TL.