Back to A-Z Help pages index

Warm Home Discount: automatic rebates on your energy bill

What is it?

The Warm Homes Discount provides a rebate on your energy bills. The amount of the rebate is £140 a year.

Can I get it?

There are national eligibility rules for paying the Warm Homes Discount to low income pensioners but if you're working age and on a low income you may qualify under the 'broader group', each energy company sets their own rules for this group.

Low income pensioners

If you received the guarantee element of Pension Credit on 4 July 2021, you qualify for the Warm Home Discount for 2021/22 and should automatically receive a rebate from your energy supplier without needing to make a claim. You'll receive a letter before the end of the year confirming your discount and it should be applied to your bill by the end of March 2022.

Your supplier must be part of the Warm Homes discount scheme and your or your partner's name be on the supply bill.

If you have not received a confirmation letter by December 2021 you can contact the Warm Home Discount team on 0800 731 0214. You cannot claim after 28 February 2022.

Other people on a low income or disabled

Other people can also get the rebate (these people are known as the 'broader group'). The Warm Homes Discount is administered by individual energy companies and they set their own rules. Please click on the links below to find out about the rules for your energy company, to see if you qualify and to claim your discount:

Do you live in a Park Home?

If you are a permanent resident of a Park Home without a direct connection to an energy supplier, you may be eligible to receive a Warm Home Discount cheque for £140 towards your winter fuel bill. The fund is administered by Charis Grants on behalf of contributing suppliers. To view eligibility and apply, please visit the Charis Grants website.

Don’t know who your supplier is?

If you don't know who your supplier is, contact UKPN for electricity on 0845 601 4516. For gas, call the Meter Helpline on 0870 608 1524.

Other options

Live in Northern Ireland?

If you live in Northern Ireland you can find further information about staying warm in winter at nidirect.

You may also be eligible for help to make your home more energy efficient through the Affordable Warmth Scheme.

Reduce your energy bill

You can often reduce your energy bills by switching supplier or moving to a better tariff with you current supplier. To find out if you could save use the UK Power comparison tool.

Apply for a grant

You might be eligible for a free grant to upgrade the heating, insulation and the energy-efficiency of your home. There are grants currently available to people on a low income through the Government's ECO scheme.

1. Boiler Grants - check your eligibility and apply for a boiler grant here

2. Insulation Grants - check your eligibility and apply for an insulation grant here

3. Electric Heating Grants - if you have electric room heaters or electric storage heaters and they are the main way of heating your home you might be eligible for a grant to upgrade or replace them - check your eligibility and apply for an electric heating grant here

4. First Time Central Heating Grants - if you've never had central heating at your property - check your eligibility and apply for a First Time Central Heating (FTCH) grant here