Out-of-work benefit claimed (IS/JSA/ESA)

Out-of-work benefit claimed (IS/JSA/ESA)

If you are making a new benefit claim because you are not working full time or not able to work, in most cases, you will need to claim Universal Credit. The information on this page covers the out of work benefits which were available under the old benefit system and are only available to claim now if you receive a Severe Disability premium and are therefore unable to claim Universal Credit at the moment. 

If you have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions you may be receiving contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance or contributory Employment and Support Allowance. We'll ask about this separately. Even if you get contributory benefits you may also have entitlement to a means-tested benefit top-up.

Income Support

Income Support (IS) is extra money to help people on a low income. You may be receiving this if you are:

  • appealing against a decision that you are capable of work following a work capability assessment (WCA)
  • caring for someone and either you are getting Carer's Allowance, or the person you are looking after gets Attendance Allowance (AA) or constant Attendance Allowance, the middle or highest rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component, or a daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • a lone parent and responsible for a child under 5

Before the introduction of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) on 27 October 2008 you could get Income Support if you were sick/disabled and unable to work. There are still some existing claimants remaining on Income Support for this reason.

For more information see our Income Support help page.

Jobseeker's Allowance

You may be receiving Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) if you are unemployed or working part time (less than 16 hours a week) and are available for and actively seeking work. For more information see our Jobseekers Allowance help page

Employment and Support Allowance

You may be receiving Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if your ability to work is limited by ill health or disability. ESA replaced Incapacity Benefit (IB) and Income Support (IS) paid on the grounds of incapacity, for new claims from 27 October 2008. For more information see our Employment and Support Allowance help page.

Once you have indicated which benefit you are currently claiming the calculator will then work out the amount that you should be entitled to and how much Universal Credit you could get when you are moved on to this benefit.



We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume you are happy to receive all cookies from our website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.