Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

Non-work income and Universal Credit

For Universal Credit non-work income means money that doesn't come from work or benefits. This includes the following types of non-work income:

  • spousal maintenance (non-child maintenance)
  • occupational or personal pensions
  • income from an overseas arrangement
  • payments from an annuity
  • maintenance element of student income
  • income protection insurance payments (for example, in respect of sickness or unemployment)
  • Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance where you qualify for support for mortgage interest (for more information see Support for mortgage interest)
  • maintenance element of a sports award
  • maintenance element of training allowances
  • payments from a trust fund
  • other taxable income as defined in the Income Tax Trading (and Other Income) Act 2005 Part 5 (for example royalties, income from publishing, film and sound recordings)

If the non-work income you get is not in this list it won't affect your Universal Credit.

How non-work income affects Universal Credit

Non-work income is taken fully into account. This means that for every pound you get, your Universal Credit will be reduced by a pound.