Income Support rules - other people who qualify

Income Support: Who Can Claim

Others who can apply for Income Support

Childcare responsibility

  • You are a lone parent and responsible for a child under 5 (under 7 in Northern Ireland) who is a member of your household.
  • You are single or a lone parent and are fostering a child under 16 through a local authority or voluntary organisation or are looking after a child placed with you by an adoption agency prior to adoption.
  • You are looking after a child under 16 because the child’s parent, or the person who usually looks after the child, is temporarily ill or away from their home.
  • You are taking unpaid parental leave to look after a child who lives with you. You must have been entitled to housing benefit (HB), council tax benefit (CTB), working tax credit (WTC) or child tax credit (CTC – more than just the family element) on the day before your leave began.
  • You are taking paternity leave and you do not receive statutory paternity pay or any payment from your employer, and/or you were entitled to HB, CTB, WTC or CTC (more than just the family element) on the day before your leave began.
  • Your partner is temporarily outside the UK and you are responsible for a child under 16 who is a member of your household.

Education and training

  • You are a ‘qualifying young person’ and in one of the categories not excluded from Income Support.
  • You are under 21, have no parents or are living away from your parents and are undertaking a full-time non-advanced course that you started (or were accepted to attend or enrolled on) before your 19th birthday.
  • You are a refugee and start attending an English course for over 15 hours a week during your first year in Great Britain (to help you obtain employment; you are eligible under this category for 9 months only.
  • You are on Work-Based Learning for Young People.


  • You have started work and are eligible for the first four weeks of housing costs run-on.
  • You are required to attend a court or tribunal as a JP, juror, witness, defendant or plaintiff.
  • You are held to be involved in a trade dispute.
  • You are remanded or committed in custody for a trial or sentencing (but you can only get Income Support to cover housing costs).

We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume you are happy to receive all cookies from our website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.