Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

Income Support rules for lone parents

Once your youngest child reaches age 5 your entitlement to Income Support may stop if you’re only claiming it because you’re a lone parent.

This age restriction does not apply if you:

  • have a child who is entitled to the middle-rate or highest-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • have a foster child living with you

What happens when your Income Support stops

Jobcentre Plus will contact you before your Income Support is due to stop to tell you when your last payment will be. Jobcentre Plus will also invite you to an interview with an adviser, who will explain what you need to do to make a claim for another benefit if necessary.

It is very important that you attend this interview so that you continue to receive the right benefits and financial support if you need it.

Other benefits which you may be entitled to

If you have not found full tiime work when your Income Support ends, and you don't qualify for Income Support on other grounds, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit.