Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

Housing Benefit - help with rent in Northern Ireland

What is it?

If you're on a low income, whether you're working or not, and need financial help to pay all or part of your rent, you may be able to get Housing Benefit to help you cover the cost.

How much will I get?

If you rent a property or room from a private landlord, your maximum Housing Benefit will be calculated with the Local Housing Allowance rules, for more information see local housing allowance.

If you live in Northern Ireland Housing Executive accommodation the maximum Housing Benefit you can normally get is the same as your 'eligible' rent. Eligible rent includes:

  • rent for the accommodation
  • charges for some services, such as lifts, communal laundry facilities or play areas.

Even if it's included in your rent, you won't get any Housing Benefit for:

  • charges for heating, hot water, lighting, or cooking
  • payments for food or fuel in board and lodgings or hostels

The amount of Housing Benefit you may get also depends on your personal and financial circumstances.

Can I get it?

If you go through the calculator we will work out whether you are entitled to Housing Benefit and how much you might be able to claim.

How do I claim?

If you are a tenant, either of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive or in the private sector, your benefits are administered by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive. To find out more and to make a claim go to the Northern Ireland Housing Executive website.