Skip to Content
Back to A-Z Help pages index

Carers credit

What is Carer's Credit?

Carer’s Credit is a way to help fill gaps in your National Insurance record if you provide care for one or more disabled person(s) for a total of 20 hours or more each week, but do not currently receive Carer’s Allowance or a Carer Support Payment in Scotland.

You will automatically be getting Carer’s Credits if you already get Carer’s Allowance/Carer Support Payment, or get Child Benefit for a child under the age of 12.

The credit will help to protect your National Insurance record to ensure there are no gaps from having to undertake caring responsibilities.

Carer’s Credit counts towards entitlement to Retirement Pension and State Second Pension. It also counts towards entitlement to bereavement benefits.

Can I get Carer's Credit?

There are two qualifying routes to be able to get Carer’s Credit, either through the disabled person being entitled to a qualifying benefit or through a certification route (Care Certificate). In both cases you must be aged 16 or over and under state pension age. 

To claim via the qualifying benefit route the person you care for should be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance - care component, at the middle or highest rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component, at the standard or enhanced rate
  • Adult Disability Payment Scotland - daily living component, at the standard or enhanced rate
  • Child Disability Payment Scotland - at the middle or highest care component
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Where there is no qualifying benefit it will be possible to claim via the certification route, where, on the basis of a signed certificate from a health or social care professional you can confirm the level of care being provided is appropriate.

How do I claim Carer's Credit?

You will automatically get Carer’s Credit if you are:

  • a parent with a child under the age of 12 for whom you claim Child Benefit. If your partner is the Child Benefit claimant but already has sufficient national insurance contributions/credits for the tax year you may be able to get a Carer’s Credit instead of them. As the partner of a Child Benefit claimant you need to apply for Carer's Credit – it will not be awarded automatically.
  • are a foster carer

However if you are not getting Carer’s Allowance/Carer Support Payment, and are not in one of the above two groups, you must apply for Carer’s Credit. Contact details are on the DWP Carer's Credit page.