Skip to Content
Skip to Navigation

Carer's Allowance Eligibility

If you care for someone who claims a disability benefit you may be entitled to Carer's Allowance (CA) and if you are claiming Universal Credit (UC) you may be entitled to the Carer Element. The eligibility rules for the UC carer element are the same as for CA but without the earnings limit. To claim Carer's Allowance you must:

  • Have net earnings under an earnings limit (£123 a week in 2019/20); we have already checked that your earnings are under this level.
  • Spend at least 35 hours a week looking after the person in need of care
  • Look after someone who is claiming (or waiting to hear about) a qualifying disability benefit

The qualifying disability benefits are Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance (middle or higher rate care component), Personal Independence Payment (daily living component, either rate) and the Armed Forces Independence Payment.

Please note that if you care for more than one person you should only enter information for the person you care for the most. For more information see Carer's Allowance eligibility rules.

If you care for someone for between 20 and 35 hours a week, while you may not be entitled to Carer's Allowance or the UC carer element you will be awarded National Insurance Credits.

Do you care for each other?

100% complete
Back to top